Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

Tea Time // Hospital Etiquette


I've realized that I haven't exactly been on my A game lately when it comes to this blog. Pregnancy has really thrown me for a loop and now that I am finally adjusting to it, it is getting closer to the end. Now, I still have 12 weeks until my due date, but time is seriously flying. 

Anyways, I've decided that I want to start something called "Tea Time" where I just sit an talk and imagine that someone is reading (and maybe even responding). 

Today's topic is hospital and birth etiquette. 

As it gets closer to my due date, I have thought about a lot. Mainly baby stuff; co-sleeping, breastfeeding, family, my birth plan and lastly but definitely not least, do I want people visiting me at the hospital?

I'm at the point that I'm unsure. I've hear a lot of different opinions on it, but as a first time mom, I'm scared. Scared of all these people being around my brand new child, touching my brand new child, seeing me after I have given birth and am extremely tired, seeing me in my most vulnerable state, and I'm adjusting. And it isn't just me adjusting, it's my Other Half too. As new parents, the hospital gives us those moments to have professionals around while we have questions and while we are adjusting to the new person in our family. And I don't know if I want people bombarding us while we have that time. Even if it is family, especially since a lot of times family wont text or call first.

So here are some pointers:
  1. Respect the new mom and dad's wishes. No offense, but they may not want you there. And don't get so easily offended by it. It isn't about you. It's about them and their baby. 
  2. Text or call the new mom or dad before you head out. If they don't respond, they may be sleeping or already have visitor's. They will get back to you, so don't be pushy. When they text you back, ask if there is anything that they need or want. If they have pets, ask if someone has been by to check on them. Be helpful, you'll get your chance to see the baby.
  3. Don't stay longer than needed. Especially if the new parents are allowing visitors. That means that they will be having a constant influx of people coming in and out to visit. Say hi, ask how they are doing, visit with the baby and carry on. Once the new parents are adjusted, you will have plenty of time to see the baby.
  4. Don't bring children. This should be self explanatory. Just don't. 
  5. Don't give advice. Unless asked. The new parents are just starting out. They don't need you to tell them to do this and that. Let them figure it out. If they want your advice, I'm pretty sure they'll ask for it.
These are just a few things that I know will irritate me. It may sound rude, but boundaries are needed at certain times in life. Do you have any tips on how to let family members down easy? What's your opinion? How'd your hospital stay go?

No comments:

Post a Comment