Pages

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Sharpie Mug DIY

I had first heard about these on abeautifulmess.com, they had done a His + Hers Sharpie Mug DIY and I thought that would be a perfect gift idea for someone one. So, I bookmarked it and went on my way. Then, Christmas comes around and I think it's perfect to throw in for our parents gifts, since they are becoming grandparents in the beginning of 2014.
 Things you will need:
~mugs - dollar store mugs work perfectly because they don't have the expensive glaze on them (that makes it harder for the sharpie to stick).
~Sharpie
~an oven

I was going to use washi tape to help decorate, but that didn't end up going so well.
 Decorate how ever you please. These are for my mom and dad. I decorated my mom's with gold polka dots and I left my dad's plain (otherwise he wont use it). Once decorated, it is important to let the sharpie's dry, which can take anywhere from 6 to 24 hours.
Then, place the mugs in the oven before you turn it on. Then turn it to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. I found that this higher temperature helps bake the sharpie on and making it last through the dishwasher. Turn the timer on for 30 minutes, once it goes off turn the oven off and leave the mugs in the oven. This is important so they don't crack. 
Then, here comes the BIG test, run it through the dishwasher. 

Wallah! 

Have fun making these!

No comments:

Post a Comment